To see map legends ==> Scroll down.
Go to the index of public land maps for Washington.
These maps will help you find public land that you can enjoy for hiking, camping, hunting, fishing, mountain biking, horse riding, snowmobiling, cross-country skiing and other forms of recreation. Most of the data you see on these maps is hosted on GIS (Geographical Information System) servers operated by various government agencies.
These public land maps are displayed in your browser by Gmap4 which is an enhanced google map viewer. If you have not done so already, please take a moment and read the following "Tips" to learn how to:
- Use your smartphone GPS feature to center the map at your location
- See high resolution USGS topographic maps
- Easily manage GIS overlay layers
- Make your own custom Gmap4 links
- Make a GPX file by drawing on the map
- Use the maps offline
- Make a text file to display GIS data
- And more....
You are responsible for knowing the regulations that apply to any public land. When in doubt, contact the responsible officials and also check their website. Keep in mind that there might be mistakes in any of the GIS data you see on these maps and the data might be incomplete. Any public land boundary lines you see on these maps are not survey-grade and can easily be wrong by 100 feet or more! When you go out to play on public land, remember to bring along your common sense and respect private property rights.
Tip: To turn GIS overlay layers on and off, open the menu that lets you change the basemap. After that menu opens on a desktop/laptop you will see a column labeled "Overlays" and on a mobile device you will need to scroll down to the "Overlays" section. Click/touch an overlay layer to turn it on and again to turn it off. Also, look near the bottom of the list of built-in basemaps to see if the map includes any additional basemaps.
Map legends for the Washington Public Land Boundary Map
CLICK HERE to see the legend for:
- Federal ownership bdry (1)
- Federal ownership solid (24)
- WDFW wildlife area fill (26) Gray
- Major public land (27)
- Contour (21) Displays layers 22-25
- DNR managed land (27)
- Major public land (29)
- WDFW wildlife area bdry (6)
- WDFW wildlife area bdry (7)
- WDFW owned managed fill (8)
- DNR transportation (4)
- Wildlife area fill (9,19,29,39,49,59)
- WA state park (5)
- Place name (4)
- Water access site (10)
- Lake river stream (8,9,11,13,14)
- River and stream (0-1)
- Gate (0)
- Road not DNR (2)
- DNR proprietary road (3,5)
- PLS section (7)
- PLS township (8)
- Snow depth (0)
- Snow water equivalent (1)